Monday, September 23, 2019

Onward






Well, I can admit to being wrong when I am wrong, and it turns out that there are, indeed, postal workers who do give a damn. (See how I've tempered that complaint from last week?)
 I did finally locate someone from the Post Office who could tell me how to resolve the lost package bummer. (Notice, too, how the whole affair has been downgraded from crisis to bummer.) 

 I talked to the gal who delivers the mail on our route. She took the time to hear out the whole story. She identified the computer generated trap that held the package in limbo, and told me how to get it sprung. Kudos. The Hamptons got the catalog.




And, for now, The Lost Canyon Project enters a new phase. Those who have been following the blog will perhaps remember The Deep Dark Hole story. I posted The Deep Dark Hole at the end of last December, but I have taken the rough draft off line for refinement. It is a segment from Pete’s never completed work, “The Lost Era” which told the story of his early childhood in La Habra Heights, back in the 1940’s.


 Dreams were always profoundly important to Pete Hampton. He spoke often of having astonishingly vivid, even prophetic dreams. The Deep Dark Hole is the richly illustrated account of a lucid dream.

The Deep Dark Hole was a childhood nightmare so profound that Pete recorded it in a sequence of nearly a hundred paintings.



 Later notes and paintings indicated that Pete was considering taking the dream sequence, and making it into a show of its own. Some months ago I transcribed the hand written text of the nightmare story and posted it here along with some of the pictures. As I progressed through the fourteen archives of paintings I found  over a dozen more illustrations that belonged to the dream sequence. 



The next project is re-assembling the sequence of paintings, refining that rough draft, and putting the polished final product into storybook form.


And from there? Many other irons in the fire. We’ll see what is to come. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, John. I like Pete's artwork! Let's get together somehow (skype?) and go through how to square up his images in photoshop. We also want to get rid of the text on the image. Time for me is always limited but this needs to get done.

    All my best,
    KC.

    ReplyDelete

Coment moderation is on to prevent spammers. Nobody likes spammers.