Monday, September 9, 2019

And Where To Now?




And Where To, Now?



I ended last week’s post on a sad note, talking about Pete Hampton’s last years. And I begin this week wondering where to go and what to do with all of this. Too, I wonder what I have done, and why I did it.



This has been a big undertaking. It’s not over and done either, so far as I can see. I still have the voice telling me that there is work to do. But toward what end? I’ve said this before. I believe that Pete’s art is the work of genius. There is a transcendent quality to these paintings that raises them above mere depictions of the Puente Hills, or rural La Habra. I, and others who have seen this come away thinking, “This work is something more than special. This is the real thing. People  need to know; someone needs to see this...”



But Who? Who is the “someone”.  What happens, if?… What happens, when?...

Pete kept records of pretty much everything. I have copies of letters, enquiries, mailings that Pete sent out over the years.
Not only did he work incessantly on the Lost Canyon Trip show, he busted his butt trying to promote it. He sent stuff to radio stations, television stations, celebrities, people he thought had money or influence. He put flyers on phone poles, sold tickets door to door to get people to see his show, and help save the hills. 



Something in me says this just can not be for nothing. That same voice prompted me to take on the Lost Canyon Project, and tells me still, that there is work that must be done. That's all the answer. Maybe it's the only answer. And that’s about all for this week.
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coment moderation is on to prevent spammers. Nobody likes spammers.