Monday, August 26, 2019

All That's Fit to Print


All That's Fit to Print 

<Last week: Bringing It All Back Home 

 

 



This week's paintings are from Archive 14, the last collection of Pete Hampton’s work.
I think I  wrote earlier, that haste is seldom your friend. It’s also one of my many faults. I had the Word document for the catalog completed. It totaled 827 paintings, drawings and sketches, at 470 pages.(Originally counted at 828 paintings. There was a duplicate picture in the file.) 
I proofread and proofread again until I was sure it was ready, and dropped the file off at the printer’s.
So, guess what happened next.


I called the shop in the afternoon, and the guy told me he was having some trouble with his machines. The catalog would be ready in the morning. Then, around 7:30 that night, I got one of those horrible, “OH-OH” moments. I checked the Word file on the computer, and.... Oh. 
Dammit.
 Anyway. 
Just what I thought. (John, you IDIOT!
I called the shop number, and left a message, hoping I was in time.
 I  wasn’t.


So I picked up the catalog the next morning. All the screw-ups that I made, and too late remembered, stood out like neon. It turned what should have been a professional looking piece into an amateur effort, and an expensive one at that. It took four more days of tedious editing to get it right. That’s the bad news.


The good news is that, even with the errors, the overall project looked much better than I had hoped. The corrected final draft will go to the printer this week. This phase of the project is complete.

I am not sure what the next phase of this project will be. I have some ideas, but final decisions are not in my hands.
 Some few of the posts here on The Lost Canyon Project, most notably, “The Deep Dark Hole” post will soon be taken off line this week, and returned to “draft” for re-editing.


In the meanwhile, The Lost Canyon Project blog will continue every Monday morning. There is a huge gallery of work here, and I’ve shown only a sample. Each week  we’ll get a look at a handful Pete Hampton's works, but with less chatter from your humble narrator.
More next week.
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coment moderation is on to prevent spammers. Nobody likes spammers.