Monday, January 21, 2019

The Lightning Tower



The Lightning Tower

<previous: New Year's With Yoshio


Some weeks ago, Pete’s brother Richard sent me a handful of old photos of Pete, including this picture,  taken up in La Habra Heights. Who took the picture, I wondered?



The answer would soon come to me.
When Rick and Geri came out to take care of Pete’s business we tried to get in touch with as many of Pete’s friends as we could find. We couldn’t find very many. In particular, we had hoped to make contact with Dee Gayer. Dee was a friend of both Pete and Richard, but like all of us who knew Pete, he had moved on with life and career, and hadn’t seen either of the Hamptons in a long time.

Richard got the call from Dee, whom he hadn’t seen since forever.  Shortly afterwards I got a call from Dee...

*UPDATE* Jan 23,2019.
I have received an email from Mr. Gayer detailing some wonderful recollections of Pete. I've deleted my second-hand account of our conversation so that I can replace it with Dee's actual words. Tune in next week!


 Notice the dish microphone on a pole. Pete would spend hours hidden in the brush to get recordings of birds, faraway trains, or planes overhead.



This week we’ll get a look at a few more paintings from the miscellaneous stack in the third archive. Next week we’ll get a look at the paintings in the Lost Canyon file.




And finally, this small gem from Pete's earlier work

Monkeyflower , Paper, 1965

Next week: Recollection from Dee.>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coment moderation is on to prevent spammers. Nobody likes spammers.