Monday, December 3, 2018

A Year of Infrequent Vists







 Arc2P051, Paper, 13 1/2 X 11"



Over the course of the next year I visited with Pete about once a week. I got in touch with his case manager from County services, and stayed in touch with Rick and Geri.
His third-floor apartment was tiny, but it had a balcony and a nice view of the hills in Brea. Social Services paid for a ‘home health assistant’ to come in periodically to clean up, and help with errands and the like. The dining area was lined with half gallon bottles filled with water “just-in-case…”

The visits weren’t easy. I would call in advance, but Pete never picked up the phone. I’d leave a message, and just drive over there. Sometimes times I’d knock, but he’d be in bed, or just wouldn’t answer. Other times, Pete would tape a “come in” note to the door.  He was always thin, about 5’9’’ tall. Gaunt of face, wide, high forehead and cheekbones. There was an incredible intensity in his deep-set eyes. At 77 years of age he still had a full head of thick hair that hung down to the middle of his back. He kept it dyed brown, even though his beard was grown white.

It was painful and difficult for him to move. Both legs were bandaged from ankle to knee, the result of a MRSA infection. Even with the walker he hobbled around the place bent over nearly double.
 I would usually find Pete in a t-shirt and boxer shorts. He’d be sitting in the little kitchen hunched over in a desk chair in front of the open refrigerator.   He sipped at a concoction of cheap Canadian whiskey, ginger ale, and chocolate milk. Pete and alcohol were inseparable.
It was hard to have anything like a conversation. He would ramble on about things past present and future with no transition between topics: His shows, his paintings, the weather, his wild schemes for bringing rain to Southern California using atomic bombs in the ocean. Occasionally he would come around to a topic I could respond to, and we’d talk. It was like hopping on and off a merry-go-round. The visit would usually conclude with my making a trip to the grocery store for a handle of Canadian, and some of the few items he kept in his spare pantry.

November and Thanksgiving of 2017 rolled around. Jeff Goslowsky, whom I mentioned  earlier, and had not seen in many years, joined us for Thanksgiving dinner. We couldn't manage to get Pete to join us, so Jeff and I took dinner over to Pete. Pete lit up when Jeff and I came over. For a while he was animated, talking about old times, and friends, but he faded quickly. I visited a couple or three times more before a bad case of influenza laid me low for over a month. I wouldn't see Pete again until much later in the winter.

<continued>

Pete's brother, Richard Hampton  informs me that the picture of the red Willys Jeep, "Canyon Dweller" on last weeks post is a portrait of one of Pete's cars. This week's selection from Archive 2 begins with some scenes from Pete's "Lost Era" show.


 Arc2P061, paper, 8 1/2 X 11"

"The Lost Era" was to be a  show about LaHabra Heights in the 1940's. Pete was always working on Lost Era, but he never completed the show. There will be more "Lost Era" paintings  to come.



Arc2P062, paper, 8 1/2 X 11" 
A trip back through time via the "Zylascope".


Arc2P063, paper, 81/2 X 11"
 ...All the way to the 1940's...


We'll close this week with these strangely haunting pictures, all portraits of Pete when he was quite young. I asked the Hamptons for some background on these. Geri writes:

The first painting is Pete around the time of Pete's 6th birthday.  From Pete's diary, "I dressed up like my "Hero" Robin Hood that my parents took me to see at the Roxy theater in Whittier.  I had a green felt hat like "Robin Hood" that with Feather and Sword." This was written under his 6th birthday page in his baby book. 

I have the original photo of Pete in his overalls at the house on Coban Rd.  He is also around 6 or 7 here.

Richard says that this painting was one of  Pete's earliest works.  "

Arc2P064, paper, 8 1/2 X 11"


Arc2P066, paper, 8 1/2 X 11"

And finally this piece. There's just so much sadness in those eyes.

 Arc2, P065, paper, 8 1/2 X 11"

3 comments:

  1. Great work and reflections. You are doing a loving tribute, John. Bravo! Glen

    ReplyDelete
  2. To think that He painted himself as a kid when He was probably still pretty close to still being a kid. Must have had an ample natural access to Pineal DMT. I admire his love of nature.

    ReplyDelete

Coment moderation is on to prevent spammers. Nobody likes spammers.